What is personal health insurance?
Personal health insurance products help lower your risk of being burdened by expenses for preventive care or medical bills as a result of an illness or accident. While provincial health plans provide coverage for many health expenses, there are gaps that can have a significant impact on your finances. For example, depending on the province or territory where you live, you may have to pay for;
- Prescription drugs to treat a chronic or serious health condition
- Emergency medical services provided in another country
- Practitioners like physiotherapists to promote wellness or help with injury recovery
- Medical equipment to assist with your mobility
You should consider personal health insurance if:
- You don’t have health benefits through your employer
- You’re losing your group coverage
- You’d like additional benefits not offered by your employer’s plan
3 Personal Health Insurance plans are available
Personal Health Insurance is for you if you don’t have adequate employer group benefits coverage. You can choose among plans with differing levels of coverage. Each person included on a Personal Health Insurance application must have provincial health coverage and will be medically underwritten.